1 a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc. [syn: gage]
2 accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared [syn: standard of measurement]
3 the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
4 the thickness of wire
1 judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds" [syn: estimate, approximate, guess, judge]
2 rub to a uniform size; "gauge bricks"
3 determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation; "gauge the wine barrels"
4 measure precisely and against a standard; "the wire is gauged"
5 adapt to a specified measurement; "gauge the instruments"
6 mix in specific proportions; "gauge plaster"
- Rhymes: -eɪdʒ
- A measure; a
standard of measure; an instrument to determine dimensions,
distance, or capacity; a standard; an act of measuring.
- 2007. Zerzan, John. Silence. p. 2.
- The record of philosophy vis-à-vis silence is generally dismal, as good a gauge as any to its overall failure.
- 2007. Zerzan, John. Silence. p. 2.
- Any instrument for ascertaining or regulating the level, state, dimensions or forms of things; as, a rain gauge; a steam gauge.
- A form of jewelry which creates a hole of variable size in the earlobe, popular especially among some young people in the West, perhaps on analogy with similar devices found in various non-Western indigenous cultures.
- The distance between the rails of a railway.
- In the context of "mathematics|analysis": A semi-norm; a function that assigns a non-negative size to all vectors in a vector space.
A measure; a standard of measure; an instrument to determine dimensions, distance, or capacity; a standard; an act of measuring
- Finnish: mitta
- Portuguese: medida
- Swedish: mått
Any instrument for ascertaining or regulating the level, state, dimensions or forms of things; as, a rain gauge; a steam gauge
- Finnish: mittari
The distance between the rails of a railway
- Finnish: raideleveys
A semi-norm; a function that assigns a non-negative size to all vectors in a vector space
- Finnish: puolinormi
- Finnish: mitata
Gauge may refer to:
- American wire gauge, a measurement of diameter of a wire
- Gauge (bore diameter), the diameter of a shotgun barrel
Iron Wire Gauge, which corresponds to the diameter of a
- See also :Category:Wire gauges
- Sheet metal gauge, thickness of metal in sheet form - varies by composition
- Gauge (engineering), any of a variety of measurement devices.
- Sight glass for measuring liquid level heights in storage tanks and pressure vessels
- Gauge blocks, precision measuring standards (Johansson or slip gauges)
- Boost gauge, a gauge used in conjunction with turbo- super-chargers
- Pressure gauge or vacuum gauge, see pressure measurement
- Gauge (mathematics), a semi norm, a concept related to convex sets
- Stream gauge for measuring height and discharge of a river or stream
- The size of a stretched piercing, see stretching (body piercing)
- Film gauge, a physical property of film stock which defines its size
- Instrument panel of a car
- Gage R&R, a statistical tool to measure variation arising from the measurement device and its operators
- Rail gauge, the distance between the two rails forming a railroad track
- Standard gauge
- Narrow gauge railway
- Broad gauge
- Loading gauge - maximum width and height of engines and loaded wagons, etc.
- Structure gauge - minimum size of bridges, tunnels, platforms, etc.
- Axle load - maximum weight of axles for a given track
- Break of gauge
gauge in German: Gauge
gauge in Spanish: Calibre
gauge in Indonesian: Kaliber
gauge in Polish: Kaliber
Johansson block, T square, adjust, amount, amplitude, appraise, appreciate, area, assay, assess, barometer, basis, benchmark, bigness, body, breadth, bulk, calculate, caliber, calibrate, caliper, calipers, call, canon, capacity, catalog, categorize, chain, check, check a parameter, class, classify, compass, compute, coverage, criterion, degree, depth, determine, dial, diameter, dimension, dimensions, dipstick, divide, dividers, enlarge, estimate, evaluate, example, expanse, expansion, extension, extent, factor, fathom, feeler gauge, figure, foot rule, form an estimate, gage, gauge block, gauger, girth, give an appreciation, goniometer, grade, gradiometer, graduate, graduated scale, greatness, group, guess, guide, guideline, height, identify, instrument, judge, largeness, length, level, limit, line, litmus test, log, log line, magnitude, make an estimation, mark, mass, match, measure, measurement, measurer, mensurate, mete, meter, meterstick, micrometer, model, norm, octant, pace, parameter, pattern, plumb, plumb rule, prize, probe, proportion, proportions, protractor, quadrant, quantify, quantity, quantize, radius, range, rank, rate, reach, reading, readout, reckon, rod, rule, ruler, scale, scope, sector, set square, sextant, sift, size, size up, sort, sort out, sound, span, spirit level, spread, square, standard, step, survey, take a reading, tape, tape measure, tapeline, test, theodolite, thrash out, touchstone, transit, transit theodolite, triangulate, try square, type, valuate, value, vernier, vernier caliper, volume, weigh, width, winnow, yardstick